For many pests, including rodents, spiders and cockroaches, the change in season indicates the need to find refuge from the cold winter ahead. Homeowners should be mindful of the importance that fall pest-proofing can play in keeping pests from making their home in yours. And let’s not forget stink bugs, wasps, cluster flies, and ladybugs which are looking for warm places to overwinter.
To keep pests from overwintering in your home, Reardon recommends these fall pest-proofing tips:
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house; keep shrubbery well-trimmed.
If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact Reardon professionals at 302.792.9300 to inspect, identify and treat the problem.